Name: Barry Wagner
Instrument(s): Trombone (straight tenor)
- Started playing the trombone in fourth grade.
- Started playing professionally at the age of 15.
- Attended the U.S. Navy School of Music.
- Played in the 4th Division Army Band and the 29th Army Band.
- Over the years I have played with various small combos; the Sammy Kaye Orchestra; Queen City Jazz Band; Medicare 7, 8 OR 9 Jazz Band;
- U of I Jazz Band.
- Currently I am the Director of The Tony Barron Orchestra ( a traditional ballroom/dance band playing 35 states and Canada over 45 years).
- In addition, I play with The Heartland Jazz Orchestra; Parkland College Jazz Band; Parkland College “In Your Ear Big Band”; The New Orleans Jazz Machine; The Traditional Jazz Orchestra; plus freelancing and giving private lessons.
- I am a member of the International Trombone Association; American Federation of Musicians Local 3 in Indianapolis; National Ballroom and Entertainment Association; 4th Degree Knights of Columbus; Elks; Corvette Club of Illinois.
- I am retired from the University of Illinois after 23 1/2 years. (yes, I had a day job that still allowed me to continue playing professionally) -Married to my best friend, Debby Wagner.
- Have one daughter Bernadette, who is a graduate of Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, in Pipe Organ performance and is currently doing graduate studies in Sacred Music at ASU.
- Outside of music, i love Corvettes and cooking.